FPTP: good for television, bad for people.
- Designed to create a two party system and minimise the scope for representing the true variety of political opinions in the country.
- Marginalises all minor parties – deliberately under-representing their voters so as to create the majority system.
- Party leaders become quasi-presidential; party discipline quashes real discussion.
- Creates climate in which compromise is failure and changing your mind is fatal.
AV: a step towards politics for real people
- Politics of building consensus among a variety of viewpoints (just like the country as a whole).
- Representation in Parliament of more diverse perspectives (just like the country as a whole).
- Politicians who are better at negotiating and less keen on posturing (like the people we’d want to have as our managers).
- Political recognition that running a country is not like a game show – this is real life, our lives.